Date:      Fri, 07 Mar 2003 12:20:32 -0800
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>
Cc:        gnome@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Galeon problem

> From: "Mezz bsdforums.org" <reigncracks@hotmail.com>
> Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 14:44:24 -0500
>
> >This is probably a Mozilla issue, but when I bring up a web page in
> >Galeon (e.g. http://worldofends.com/), test lines containing an
> >apostrophe are only rendered through the apostrophe with the remainder
> >of the line blank.
> >
> >If I cut the paragraph, the text on the clipboard is complete.
> >
> >Could this be a FreeBSD issue or should I submit a bug to Mozilla?
>
> I don't really see anything wrong with Opera7, Mozilla and Galeon. They all
> look and behave same. Perhaps, I don't understand what you are trying to
> say?

I think Joe hit it. It looks like a font problem. I look at the same
page on another system running Galeon2, and the same text is displayed
as junk. Looks a bit like someone took a pen and scratched out the
section.

See http://www.endofworlds.com/ and look at the fifth paragraph AFTER
the bulleted list of items. It starts "All we need to do is pay
attention". The damaged section starts right after "our lifetimes" and
again after "trillion dollars'". The following paragraph is almost
totally unreadable.

I am seeing this on at least three systems, all running 4.7 or
4.8-Prerelease. One is running a Gnome1 desktop and the other Gnome
2.2. One is running Galeon and the other Galeon2. The system running
Galeon2 and the 2.2 desktop has the bitstream-vera fonts installed.

I think it looks to be a font issue, but I am not at all sure what it
might be. But, if I am doing something wrong, I'm doing it several
places.

R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)