Date:      Sun, 12 Nov 2000 13:30:10 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        Sven Hazejager <sven@chain.demon.nl>, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IDE RAID?

I dont have any direct experience with the controllers listed below on
FreeBSD, however I did try the Fasttrak a year or so ago on NT and was less
than impressed with it under even a medium load.  The IDE RAID card I have
had good experience with is the one from 3ware. (www.3ware.com). I have
been using it in RAID 0 and RAID 1 on a number of servers with very good
results and reliability, including booting from it (e.g)
 > df
Filesystem    1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/twed0s1a    297663    32705   241145    12%    /
/dev/twed0s1f  26106691  1337834 22680322     6%    /usr
/dev/twed0s1e    992239    18601   894259     2%    /var
procfs                4        4        0   100%    /proc

Read write performance is very nice. Have a look through the archives where
I have posted some numbers in the past.  Also, there will soon be native
disk management utilities direct from 3ware.

         ---Mike