Date:      Thu, 31 Jul 2014 11:07:42 -0400
From:      mfv <mfv@bway.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   pf / firewall with ftp-proxy

On 30 Jul 2014 21:17:34 +0200
peter@bsdly.net (Peter N. M. Hansteen) wrote:

> Da Rock <freebsd-questions@herveybayaustralia.com.au> writes:
>
> > Jumping in to this little fray... you're exactly right. But the
> > handbook for pf says to go to openbsd for "better" info on how to
> > setup pf, which then has instructions using a syntax that doesn't
> > exist on FreeBSD. This is not just about google searches - although
> > users end up going there because of the syntax issues.
>
> That was the case for a long time, but fortunately if you take a peek
> at
> http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/firewalls-pf.html
> now, it has a lot more text than it used to (based on my pf tutorial,
> but extensively massaged by others) and an explicit warning on top
> about the syntax differences.
>
> - Peter

Hello Peter,

Thanks for your comment and explanation of pf in the handbook.  I also
bought your book some years ago and found it to be very useful.

However, I still have problems with ftp-proxy.  From the handbook
example I understand that it is _NOT_ possible to set it up on a client
with only an external interface, though I'm not certain of this.

My system is very simple:

  Host <--> Linksys Router <--> Modem <--> Internet

Is it possible to to set up pf on the host as an ftp client without
opening up all the ports above 1024?  If so how?

    With thanks                                __o
                                             _.\<,_
    Marek                                   (+)/ (+)