Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 14:56:53 -0400
From:      Brian Reichert <reichert@numachi.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   RFC: standardize device probe messages?

I'm poking at a little project that will get me 'System Info' a la
the Microsoft experience.

Simply enough, it just scans '/var/log/dmesg.today' for device info
from the last boot.  The resulting data can obviously be browsed
in all sorts of useful ways.

But, my scanning efforts revealed some inconsistencies in how these
messages are formatted.  Not surprising, really.

To accomplish my most immediate goals, I hacked all sorts of
exceptions into my scanner, but that obviously only reflects my
kernel, and hence won't be useful on the larger scale.

The answer, to me, seems to be to:

- undergo an effort to developing a regular format
- tweaking the myriad drivers to use that format

There are some obviously regularities:

  device: <Identifier> at [[resource value] ...] [on parent]
  device: miscellaneous informative text

I think (without even looking at the source) that it should be a
straightforward task to patch these cosmetic changes into the various
drivers, and to perhaps update style(9) to reflect this.

Would people feel that this is a useful endeavor?  I'd be happy to
spearhead such an effort, but I don't want to waste my time if these
proposed conventions aren't carried forward.

Essentially, I need to treat the output of dmesg (WRT device probes)
as a database, and I want a schema for that database.

I think the advantage of having this info, on the scale of just
your desktop, would be helpful for debugging hardware problems,
etc., would be obvious to most people.

For large installations, I think being able to extract this data
will help with resource management, as you could essentially inventory
your machines by what hardware they're running.  Image being able
to learn with of your machines may be affected by an updated or
deprecated driver after an upgrade? :)

Off to have more coffee...

--
Brian 'you Bastard' Reichert		<reichert@numachi.com>
37 Crystal Ave. #303			Daytime number: (603) 434-6842