Date:      Sun, 06 Dec 1998 22:44:13 +0100
From:      Sebastian Lederer <lederer@bonn-online.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Testers wanted

Hi,

I'm developing an X11-based installation program for FreeBSD, currently
named "Total Installation".
You can get some preliminary information about it at:

http://www.stud.fh-rhein-sieg.de/~sleder2s/totali.html

One of its features is that it automatically creates an XF86Config file
by scanning the PCI bus for the graphics card and doing some other
guesswork.

So what I would like you to do is to test this X autoconfiguration
module and see if it produces a valid XF86Config file for your system.

To do so, please get the file

    http://www.stud.fh-rhein-sieg.de/~sleder2s/Xstart.tar.gz ,

unpack it, type "make" and run the script "start.sh" as root (root
access
is required to scan the pci bus and to start the X server with a
specific
configuration file).
The XF86Config file will be generated and placed in the /tmp directory.
If it works, you will get the standard X screen (in 640x480, 60Hz) and
an xterm. To get out, simply exit the shell inside the xterm window. But

please make sure that the mouse moves correctly before.

To have any chance for success, you need:
- a PCI/AGP graphics card with at least 2MB RAM
- PS/2 mouse , serial-pnp mouse recognized by moused(8) or ms-compatible

    mouse on first serial port
- XFree86 installed (esp. the X server for your card)
- FreeBSD 2.2.[78] or 3.0

Make sure that moused(8) isn't running before starting the script, as it
will try to start moused itself.
If you don't use moused in your normal configuration, also kill it
afterwards ("killall moused").

Please let me know if you tried it, regardless of whether it worked or
not.
Also let me know which graphics card and mouse configuration you tested
it on.

BTW, it worked for me on S3-Trio64V+ and Matrox Mystique cards with
PS/2- and serial M$-mice. Should work on FreeBSD 3.0 and 2.2.7/2.2.8.

Thanks in advance and best regards,
Sebastian Lederer

--
Sebastian Lederer