Date:      03 Jul 1998 12:01:25 +0200
From:      smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com (Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav)
To:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-1?Q?Dag-Erling_Coidan_Sm=F8rgrav?= <smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Beginning user's OS (was: Here is a really odd question!!!)

Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no> writes:
> Hey!  This is cool!  The author of the language-implementation the
> local univeristy uses to teach programming (they use Simula, telling
> users to get cim for homework) is using TCL to teach programming!
> *large and evil grin*

What the hell is that grin for? Would *you* teach an eleven-year old
to program with a compiled language? Of course you wouldn't. You'd
choose an interpreted language where subtle typos don't shoot your
leg off.

> I'm sick and tired of that particular university turning out people
> that have _less_ clues about practical programming realtities than
> when they entered.  They tend to end up unable to see that something
> that cut 80% of my problems in an active area is a worthwhile
> refinement, even though the general problem is undecidable (like "you
> can't prove all invariants for a program in the general case" to them
> implies "all forms of invariants are useless").

That was totally gratuitous. Perhaps you wouldn't speak out of your
arse like that if you had spent a semester or two at the university in
question.

BTW, the university in question is one of very few institutions in
Norway which actually teaches program verification. Unfortunately, few
students bother to take those courses. In your opinion, does that
indicate lack of intelligence on the university's part, or on the
student's part?

> Eivind, who just _had_ to rant, and also respect quite a few people
> from there (after he's had a chance to train them first, of course

Go ahead and train me. I doubt there's much you could teach me about
invariants.

DES (who *teaches* bloody invariants at the U of O)
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - smoergrd@oslo.geco-prakla.slb.com