Date:      Thu, 15 Sep 2011 10:04:31 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6727@bellsouth.net
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 8.2 Partition Sizing question

I can't really see the rationale for putting / and /usr on separate partitions.

Swap would go on a different partition because it does not use the same file system.

I like to put /home on a separate partition, and don't like the idea of /usr/home.

I also don't like to put /var and /tmp on separate partitions: problems with size and fitting the disk space.

Putting /home on a separate partition allows the whole system to be upgraded, even newfs and reinstall, without touching user data.

Tom