Date:      Thu, 26 Aug 1999 08:01:42 -0400
From:      "Louis A. Mamakos" <louie@TransSys.COM>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: K6-2 motherboards Was, Re: Softupdates reliability?

> [moved to chat]
>
> : > Yes, you stand a far better chance of making this hack work with a 66MHz
> : > part.    No the newer std parts are not designed to run with a 66MHz FSB,
> : > you should always order them as /66.  Note that AMD has stopped making
> : > these chips due to low demand for them (with 100MHz boards <$80 USA the
> : > price/performance is usually worth it for most folks.)
> :
> : The USA... your prices tend to be a lot better than ours. I could can the
> : T2P4 but that would also mean I had to can the SIMMs (everything is DIMMs
> : now), get an AGP videocard and can the perfectly fine Millenium II (I need
> : the extra PCI slot quite badly) and buy a new CPU. Oh, and buy an ATX case.
> : In the end that is quite a bit more than $80. Unfortunately.
>
> I like the Tyan "Trinity", S1590AT.  SIMM sockets, DIMM sockets,
> highly variable clocks and voltages throughout, AT *or* ATX power,
> PS/2 mouse, USB header, IR support.  Works with K6-2 and K6-3 to 500MHz.
> 1AGP + 4PCI + 4ISA.  Very flexible.

Also the FIC VA-503+ is in a similar class - oriented specifically for
the upgrader with existing SIMM RAM.  It's an Baby-AT form factor, 1 AGP,
3 PCI, 2 or 3 ISA, etc.

I've got a K6-2 350MHz in an FIC VA-503+ based system, and a K6-3 450MHz
using the S1590A Trinity, both running at 100MHz FSB.  The FIC is sorta
nifty in that you can independently control the CPU FSB frequency to the
cache, while independently controlling the access speed to the DRAM.  So
I'm running the old DRAM at 66MHz, while the rest of the FSB is running
at 100MHz.

louie