Date:      Mon, 26 Mar 2001 11:17:18 -0800
From:      "Stuart Morse" <sturu@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Network Delays

Hi All,

I am using FreeBSD 4.2 on a Pentium II box. I am sharing the disk
using Samba 2.0.7. I am developing a Java application using JBuilder
on a PC, and the code is being compiled on the PC and saved onto the
disk space of the FreeBSD system. The source code of the program is
stored on the PC's local disk.

My problem is as follows: about half the time there are delays of 10
to 20 seconds when accessing the shared drive. The delays manifest
themselves in extremely slow compiles, slow source file saves and
complete freezing of the JBuilder environment while performing many
operations (including typing). There are also comparable delays
accessing the Java servlet through the Web Browser (I'm using Apache
1.3 and Tomcat 2.3). When I ping the FreeBSD machine From the
development PC, during this behaviour, about a third of the packets
time out. We have an 802.3 network that is attached to the Internet
through a Proxy server, and we are not running DNS within this network.

Could this be a reverse DNS lookup problem? I don't really know
how to trouble shoot this as I'm new to Unix. Any ideas?

Please respond to my email address.

Regards,

Stuart