Date:      Wed, 6 Nov 1996 18:54:15 GMT
From:      David Goddard <d.m.goddard@ic.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        d.m.goddard@ic.ac.uk
Subject:   Checksum problems installing 2.1.5R

Hi,

I'm having some trouble re-installing FreeBSD.  I recently re-formatted my
HDs and installed WinNT 4.0 and am trying to install 2.1.5R in place of my
old 2.1 installation.

I'm running into a problem with the checksums during the install.  The files
it has the problem with are bin.ad and one of the manpages files.

I've tried the follwing installation methods:
FTP using the setup program from the mirror at SunSite Northern Europe;
Installing from a DOS partition after getting the files from SunSite (making
sure that the transfer was binary, of course);
Same again, but getting the files from ftp.cdrom.com;
Same again, using Samba to get the files from SunSite.

Every time, the same error on the same file.  I've checked bin.ad, and its
the right size and I definitely didn't transfer it in ASCII mode, so I don't
think it's the transfer that's the problem.

I'm installing the root partition on the last 40Mb of my 504Mb primary HD,
with the rest on a partition on my second HD.  Both drives are IDE.  I'm
starting with clean partitions each time I attempt an install.

The only other errors I can see during the install are a couple of messages
telling me that the last ~2000 sectors of my drives are unallocated - is
this connected?  I used DOS FDISK to carve up the drives in the first place.

A secondary question - I still have my existing OS-BS boot manager in place
and would like to use that to select between FreeBSD and the NT boot
manager.  Is this a sensible way of doing it or should I really add FreeBSD
to the NT boot manager options?

Finally, is there likely to be (read-only, even) support for mounting NTFS
file systems in the near-ish future?  I read something about someone having
knocked something together, but I don't have any details.

I've looked in the docs and the archive for help with the install problem,
but I can only find references to the files being transferred in ASCII, so
this is my last resort, although I'm probably missing something stupid..

Many thanks,

Dave

--
David Goddard
Management Information Services, Imperial College, London SW7 2AZ, UK