Date:      Sat, 20 Jul 2002 00:48:25 -0700
From:      Jon Mini <baka@elvis.mu.org>
To:        Sean Hamilton <sh@planetquake.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Filesystem hook

On Sat, Jul 20, 2002 at 12:26:01AM -0700, Sean Hamilton wrote:

> Thanks, I also got another reply saying the same. Looks like it does what I
> want, and a fair bit more. I suppose I could just recurse and open a bunch
> of these if I needed to -- are there limits? I'll check the man page.

That is basically the only approach available. This becomes a problem if you
want to watch an entire filesystem, but it works great for small portions
of the tree.

The impact on the system is just the same as if you were to poll(2) or
select(2) all of those nodes, except that your process only allocates
one descriptor for the kqueue, not one for each node.

--
Jonathan Mini <mini@freebsd.org>
http://www.freebsd.org/