Date:      Fri, 14 Jul 2000 20:08:38 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <Doug@gorean.org>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: I'm fixing the build/install kernel target

	I think grog and others have raised some interesting points
regarding what the defaults should be. IMO, 'make buildkernel' should
emulate the following steps from the current process:

config KERNELNAME
cd ../../compile/KERNELNAME
make depend
make

Then 'make installkernel' should do exactly what 'make install' does now,
including renaming <kernel> to <kernel.old> (whatever the actual name of
<kernel> is). It should do the magic in /usr/obj instead of /usr/src
(allowing a total RO /usr/src) and ideally not require a complete set of
sources, unless there is a dependency like the binutils boundary.

	By following this strategy, we can tell our users ALWAYS use the
new targets, and totally deprecate the old method. This will buy us
several things. First off, it will help alleviate the hellacious confusion
that's being caused now by "when do I _really_ need to use the new
targets????" in -stable. It also will buy us a lot more flexibility in
changing the magic behind the scenes while allowing us to present a
consistent UI to our users.

	I would suggest the following for handling options. There should
be a "-DCLEAN" (or whatever) knob for doing what config -r does now. The
kernel config file can be specified in /etc/make.conf, with the command
line overriding it. The default kernel name should be kernel, with the
ability to override it with makeoptions in the config file, and on the
command line. I would also suggest splitting the KERNEL define into
KERNELNAME and KERNELCONFIG, to allow for maximum flexibility.

	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=17698 also has some
interesting ideas on how to handle buildling multiple kernels with the
same "buildkernel" command. Marcel is currently looking into this.

HTH,

Doug
--
        "Live free or die"
		- State motto of my ancestral homeland, New Hampshire