Date:      Fri, 11 Aug 2000 21:57:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Alexander Anderson <cactoss@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   localhost cannot be resolved

Hello everyone!

I sent this question to freebsd-questions, but no one had replied, so I
decided to try my luck here.

I'm having trouble resolving "localhost" for telnet and fetchmail. All
other programs (ftp, rlogin, rsh, ping, lynx) seem to understand
"localhost".

I'm going to include my configuration files. Please tell me if you'd like
to get more info on something.

> cat /etc/hosts
127.0.0.1               localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain
::1                     localhost localhost.my.domain myname.my.domain
> cat /etc/host.conf
hosts
bind
> cat /etc/resolv.conf
nameserver 209.226.175.224
nameserver 204.101.251.2

All looks right, does it?

Now, when I run telnet or fetchmail, they complain.

> telnet localhost
localhost: No address associated with hostname
1

> fetchmail
9 messages for MYUSERNAME at pop.mail.yahoo.com (64648 octets).
reading message 1 of 9 (13403 octets) .fetchmail: SMTP connect to
localhost failed
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from pop.mail.yahoo.com
fetchmail: Query status=SMTP
> echo $?
10

At the same time fetchmail causes ipfw to produce these messages:
Aug 11 21:41:47 mydomain /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP ::0001:25 from
::0001:1063
Aug 11 21:41:47 mydomain /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP 127.0.0.1:113
from 127.0.0.1:1065
Aug 11 21:41:47 mydomain /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP ::0001:25 from
::0001:1066
Aug 11 21:41:47 mydomain /kernel: Connection attempt to TCP 127.0.0.1:113
from 127.0.0.1:1067

Actually, could someone tell me, what does ::0001 mean? Should this be in
/etc/hosts with an alias of localhost?

These strange things started to happen soon after I cvsup'ed ports-all and
reinstalled libtool. I also compiled firewall support into the kernel a
few days ago. Just in case any of this might be related to the problem.

Thank you all for any suggestions!