Date:      Tue, 28 Jul 98 00:58:42 -0400
From:      "Michael R. Wayne" <wayne@msen.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Install problems with FreeBSD 2.2.7-RELEASE

+---------->
+ (-questions readded to the list.  This could interest other people
+ too).
+
+ On Tuesday, 28 July 1998 at  0:01:28 -0400, Michael R. Wayne wrote:
+ >
+ >> Moved to -questions.  I see nothing in this message that suggests it's
+ >> a detailed technical discussion.
+ >>
+ >> On Saturday, 25 July 1998 at  5:18:40 -0400, wayne@msen.com wrote:
+ >>>
+ >>> Trying to from-scratch via-ftp install 2.2.7 and seeing an odd
+ >>> problem.  Most of the way through the process an error occurs.  The
+ >>> screen says something like "if this is repeatable send mail".  While
+ >>> it's repeatable (takes about 40 minutes to get there so we only did it
+ >>> 3 times), instead of pausing at this point, the machine reboots so fas
+ >t
+ >>> after printing this that the message is not easily read.
+ >>
+ >> OK, it's something like  "if this is repeatable send mail".  What's it
+ >> exactly like?  Under what circumstances does it happen?
+ >
+ > Problem:  It takes 40 minutes to get to this point, then a message is
+ > on the screen for about a second.  NOT easy to give precise diagnosis.
+
+ Ugh.  All the more reason to describe it as well as you can.
+
+ > I felt it was a TECHNICAL problem because any error message like that
+ > should HALT the install process, not cause the machine to reboot giving
+ > no indication that there was a problem.
+
+ Agreed.  If you're implying that that's a reason to send it to
+ -hackers, though, I disagree.  -hackers is less about bugs than about
+ (actively) improving the system by way of code modification.  Check
+ out http://www.lemis.com/questions.html and let me know if there's
+ anything that could be improved there.
   FreeBSD.  I found a page that had a one screen summary of every list
   and it said that -hackers was "technical questions" so that's where
   this went.  Once one gets into the >2,000 email messages a day
   category, one tends to look for very TERSE summations.  your HowTo
   is fairly detailed and long, as well as not being linked to from
   the freebsd home page.

+---------->
+
+ > I ran it again and the same thing happened, again I was unable to get
+ > much more off the screen.  Repeated, I >think< it happened but I missed
+ > it (at least the machine rebooted).  Repeated again, that time it went
+ > OK (although I saw something about DEBUG on the screen).
+
+ You could at least describe what you did and at what point this
+ happened.  What you've said so far could be summarized as "there's a
+ bug".  We need a little bit more in order to fix it.
+---------->

First of all, there appears to be messages going to /dev/console in black
and white behind the pretty screens.  This is where the message in question
shows up.  If someone points me to the source of this stuff, I can likely
see the same error message and give some good guesses as to where it happens.
This is also where the message about "DEBUG" showed up when everything went OK.
I'm familiar w/ Unix but not with the specific install procedures used with
FreeBSD.

Part of why this is so vague is that the first time it happened, I assumed I
screwed up (I generally start with the user for errors).  When I dediced that
I had to go through and do a step-by-step with detailed notes is when the darn
thing worked.

What I did:
   quick install of kernel sources + binaries and ports.
   I >think< install got to ports.
It is possible that there was one directory or file with permission problems.

I continue to maintain that whatever is writing to the console should halt the
installation process if it detects an error, not permit a reboot.

/\/\ \/\/