Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 18:17:37 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
To:        dillon@apollo.backplane.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.1-STABLE dies on 40+ connects

In article <local.mail.freebsd-hackers/199903252220.OAA03456@apollo.backplane.com> you write:
>    netstat -tn output would be useful -- figure out what is eating so
>    much memory.
>
>    You should be able to raise NMBCLUSTERS to 8192 easily, and possibly
>    even higher.

Yup.  However, FBSD will still panic whne it runs out of NMBCLUSTERS.

I have a machine with 64K mbufs, 20K NMBCLUSTERS, and if I run out of
mbuf clusters (usually because I fell behind in processing) the machine
will panic.

Not very nice, I suppose I should go digging to fix it sometime soon.

Can someone give a short explanation (or a pointer to the relevant code)
as to exactly when a NMBCLUSTER comes into play, instead of using a long
mbuf chain?
--
Jonathan