Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 10:26:27 -0500
From:      "Erik" <erik@ezl.com>
To:        <cjclark@alum.mit.edu>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: routing with natd

cable (dhcp) ---(vr0)-> BSD machine --(ed0)--> hub  = = = > pc1 & pc2

> > I have installed: FreeBSD 4.1-RELEASE
> > I think this is the useful stuff from the rc.conf file:
> >
> > ifconfig_vr0="DHCP"
> > gateway_enable="YES"
> > network_interfaces="lo0 ed0 vr0"   # List of network interfaces
> > ipconfig_lo0="inet 127.0.0.1"      # default loopback device
> > ifconfig_ed0="inet 10.0.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
> > firewall_enable="YES"
> > firewall_type="OPEN"
> > firewall_script="/etc/firewall/fwrules"  # created by me
>
> What rules are you using? Actually, the output of 'ipfw show' would be
> prefered.

ipfw show

00100    421    49506  divert 8668 ip from any to any via vr0
00200  2827  287913  allow ip from any to any
65535        1        340  deny ip from any to any

/etc/firewall/fwrules

fwcmd="/sbin/ipfw"
$fwcmd -f flush
$fwcmd add divert natd all from any to any via vr0
$fwcmd add pass all from any to any

> > natd_program="/sbin/natd"
> > natd_enable="YES"
> > natd_interface="vr0"
> >
> > PC1 and PC2
> > win98 SE installed on both
> > ips: 10.0.0.2 and 10.0.0.3 and subnet mask is 255.255.255.0
> > dns configuration:   host: pc1 and pc2    domain: whatever.com
> >   dns search order: x.x.x.x dns server for cable
> >
> > c:\windows\hosts.sam
> > 127.0.0.1       localhost
> > 10.0.0.1         BSD      BSD.whatever.com
> > 10.0.0.2         PC1      PC1.whatever.com
> > 10.0.0.3         PC2      PC2.whatever.com
> >
> > I recompiled my kernel with IPDIVERT and IPFIREWALL as options.
> > I am able to access the internet from the BSD machine.
> > I can ping pc1(10.0.0.2) and pc2(10.0.0.3) either by ip or alias from
the
> > BSD machine. (edited hosts)
> > I can telnet in to the BSD machine from pc1 or pc2 by using 10.0.0.1
(but
> > not aliases)
>
> A Windows problem. *shock*
>
> > What I want to do is have the BSD machine act as a firewall/router so
that
> > my little
> > network has access to the internet while still being protected.  I would
> > also like to
> > be able to telnet into it (lack of monitors).
> >

> > Is there anything else I have to do to these windows machines?
>
> No, assuming that they were properly setup by whoever installed the
> OSes, the only thing you probably need to do is put in the network
> information that you mentioned above.

This is just a home networking system, I have setup everything.  I just
wanted to
make sure I had them setup correctly as well.

> > Is my rc.conf correct? and Should I change anything in the rc.conf file?
> > firewall_type="simple"?
>
> This will be whatever you make of it since you are not using the
> default /etc/rc.firewall where the 'firewall_type' variable is used.
>
> > What should I have in the fwrules file?
>
> Whatever firewall rules you need to set up. However, to get things
> started, I would suggest using the 'OPEN' firewall rules in
> /etc/rc.firewall and then setup your own rule file once you get that
> going.
>
> Finally, are you actually having any problems? From what you said, you
> can reach all of the other machines from the FreeBSD box and the Win
> boxes can reach the FreeBSD machine, but you never said if there were
> any successes or failures with anything else.
> --
> Crist J. Clark                           cjclark@alum.mit.edu

The problem I am having is that the network computers (pc1 and 2) are unable
to connect to the internet.
I am trying to iron out where the problem might be.  I am able to go back
and forth with the generic ip addresses
but (from the pcs) if I try to access anything on the net, it fails.  Any
idea what might be the problem?
If you need any more information let me know

Erik
erik@ezl.com