Date:      Mon, 31 Oct 2005 15:00:38 +0100
From:      Csaba Henk <cs@creo.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        Eric Schuele <e.schuele@computer.org>
Subject:   Re: backup strategies

Thanks for all the tips and answers, I will consider the mentioned
alternatives.

Yet I have one more question...

On Sun, Oct 30, 2005 at 01:22:35PM -0600, Eric Schuele wrote:
> dump(8) will create a snapshot of a live filesystem, dump the snapshot
> and then remove the snapshot, if given the correct flags ('-L').

Can even a full bakcup done safely on a live filesystem by "dump -L"?

As dump(8) says when explaining the -L flag:

 To obtain a consistent dump image, dump takes a snapshot of the file
 system in the .snap directory in the root of the file system being
 dumped and then does a dump of the snapshot.

I don't see how the temporary snapshot can improve the
reliability/consistency/correctness of the dump. Could someone explain
this?

--
Csaba Henk

My sense of humour is often too subtle to cope with getting smileyd.
Please don't take it personal.