Date:      Mon, 8 Jan 2001 09:56:31 +0100 (CET)
From:      Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: weird cvs update problem

On Sun, 7 Jan 2001, Archie Cobbs wrote:

> > [...]
> >
> > It sounds like maybe the rcmd_util.c,v RCS file is corrupted on the
> > CVS server.  Just a guess.  I haven't seen the problem here.
>
> Don't think so.. this happens rather randomly for random files
> (i.e., more than one).  The same file will update correctly on the
> second try (but then it barfs on another one).
>
> It doesn't seem to happen for patched files, only for files that
> are downloaded whole.. ie, if you blow away an entire directory
> and then download it again.

Since the new version CVS appears to have random problems. Is used to have
a command like

find . -type f | grep -v CVS | xargs cvs status | ...

in my Makefiles, but this does not work anymore. The cvs fails in random
ways with different error messages. Using cvs status with only one file
name works most of the time, but can be really slow when you have a large
tree.

harti
--
harti brandt, http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/cats/employees/hartmut.brandt/private