Date:      Mon, 9 Jul 2001 14:25:47 -0400
From:      Steve Tremblett <sjt@cisco.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   ports management & subtree deletion?

I have deleted directories from my ports tree because I'm not
interested in them (ie. various foreign-language stuff, some of the
scientific stuff etc.).  I just tried to generate the README.html files
with 'make readmes' from the /usr/ports directory, but it fails with
the following error:

sjt-bsd /usr/ports # make readmes ===>  Creating README.html cd: can't
cd to astro ^C sjt-bsd /usr/ports #

At the point of the ^C, the make process is hung, but there is no CPU
or IO activity.  I don't know what broke this, since I have never run
'make readmes' before.

My direct question is how to delete subtrees from /usr/ports while
still allowing 'make readmes' to work?  I have a feeling that it has
something to do with /usr/ports/INDEX, but that is just a guess.  I am
also guessing that other ports facilities besides README.html
generation won't work either.  General build & installation works
fine.

As an aside for my own interest, how would I go about investigating
this further?  If a process is in a waiting state, how do I identify
what it is waiting for and what other process is holding the resource?

Thanks for any and all information you may share

--
Steve Tremblett