Date:      Thu, 22 Jun 1995 18:14:12 +0000
From:      Matt Thomas <matt@lkg.dec.com>
To:        evanc@synapse.net (Evan Champion)
Cc:        hackers@freefall.cdrom.com
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD as a router

> I am looking to use FreeBSD as a router to route IP between 3 or 4
> Ethernet segments (meaning 3 or 4 NICs).  I have a PCI 486 (Asus SP3G)
> all line up for the job.  The only thing I need are some NICs.
>
> My question: what are the best PCI Ethernet (10base2 at this time,
> though combo cards would be appreciated) NICs available that work with
> FreeBSD?

Do you really need 10base2 (thinwire) or could you deal with 10baseT?
If 10baseT is OK, I would get one of the 4 port PCI cards based
on the DC21040.  This would give you 4 10baseT ports on one card.

> On top, if anyone has had any experiences (good or bad) with this sort
> of a setup I'd like to hear about it.  While I'm sure many people
> would suggest that I get a Cisco or a similar box to do the job, I
> really can't justify the cost of one of those units in our small
> business environment.  A PC running gated gives the best
> price/performance ratio.

I know of one of the root nameservers is sitting behind an router which
happens to be an ASUS SP3G with an AMD 486/100, an Ethernet controller,
a FDDI (DEFPA), and running BSD/OS 2.0.

Matt Thomas                          Internet:   matt@lkg.dec.com
U*X Networking                       WWW URL:    http://ftp.dec.com/%7Ethomas/
Digital Equipment Corporation        Disclaimer: This message reflects my
Littleton, MA                                    own warped views, etc.