Date:      Mon, 23 Jul 2001 09:04:02 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        Gavin Kenny <gavinkenny@yahoo.co.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Recommend a NIC

At 12:18 PM 7/17/2001 +0100, Gavin Kenny wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've been using a load of 3Com 509 NIC's and having
>the usual Buffer/Driver problems.
>
>My boss has said I can buy some new NIC's. So what
>does everyone suggest?
>
>They are going into old Dell Optiplexes so they can be
>either ISA or PCI 2.1 and I am using FreeBSD 4.1 (I
>don't want to upgrade as I don't access to the
>Internet)
>
>As far as speed in concerned 10 or 100Mbps is OK.
>
>Major need is they need to be cheap(ish) (I need 10)
>and available in the UK.
>
>Suggestions?
>
>Many thanks
>
>Gavin

As most people will tell you, if you can spare the extra few dollars... go
with the Intel card, if not then settle for dealing with possible problems
when using a cheap(er) card. Personally I've been using Intel EtherExpress
Pro 100/B cards (currently have around 100-130 or so in use w/ FreeBSD),
and have yet to have any problem. You will also find that the IBM EtherJet
cards use the fxp driver as well, and cost considerably less even though
they are essentially the same card, (they actually are an intel card, just
not sold/distributed by intel directly). I buy them in boxes of 10 off of
eBay for anywhere from $40 -> $120 per box. If you're not opposed to buying
from eBay, then that's a very viable alternative to buying cheap cards
without having to budget as such.

Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com
Windsor Match Plate & Tool Ltd.