Date:      Mon, 20 May 2002 20:59:18 -0400
From:      "Jimbo" <jimbo@jimbosworld.org>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   kernel won't compile

Can anybody give me some input on why I can't compile a kernel?

I'm using 4.5-RELEASE, and I keep getting error 127 from mkdep when I try to
make depend for the kernel:

===================================
../../i386/i386/genassym.c
mkdep:not found
*** Error 127

Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/CUSTOM.
===================================

I thought that I'd probably hosed something in my custom kernel
configuration, but when I tried building the GENERIC config, I got the same
error.  If I try doing a make with the -j4 option, I get a similar error 127
from mkdep, but in a different location.

I found an email in the archives that discussed updating genassym.c and
config, and I tried doing that - first CVSUPping the SRC collection, and
then going to genassym and trying to make it - but when I did THAT, I got
more error 127's from mkdep.

This copy of BSD was installed from a CD-ROM as 4.5-RELEASE.

Can anybody shed any light on my problems?

-J