Date:      Tue, 6 Aug 1996 16:58:54 -0700
From:      patl@asimov.volant.org
To:        hardware@freebsd.org, gfoster@gfoster.com
Subject:   Re: Iomega SCSI Jaz drives?

|>  Anybody using one of these puppies?  Is it required that you boot with
|>  a disk in place?  Any geometry "gotchas?"

Yes.  No.  Not that I know of.

I installed two, one internal and one external, on a machine I use
for multiple OSes.  The internal Jaz drive is the boot drive.  (This
allows me to isolate each installed OS from the others; which reduces
my worry level significantly...)

In FreeBSD, not having a cartridge installed in the second drive at
boot time just means that it won't be automatically mounted during
the boot sequence.  Cartridges may be manually mounted and unmounted
(or used raw) at any time.  (In fact, using FreeBSD to dd between
the raw drive and a tape is the easiest way I currently have to make
an image copy of an MS-WINDOWS boot disk.  Windows95 recognizes the
boot drive as removable; but won't do a diskcopy on it...)

On the geometry issue; so far I haven't actually attempted to
initialize a new cartridge as a non-boot disk under FreeBSD.
But the sysinstall went fine; and I have made working backups
via drive-to-drive dd.

-Pat
P.S.	For the morbidly curious, the OSes I have installed, or intend
	to install in the near future, on this machine are:  FreeBSD 2.1R
	(soon to upgrade to 2.1.5), OS/2 Warp, MS-DOS 6.22, MS-WINDOWS 3.1,
	Windows95, Windows-NT, Solaris 2.4.

P.P.S.	The only reason for the MicroLimp OSes is that I'm a consultant.
	People occasionally PAY me to develop or port to them.

My opinions are my own.  For a small royalty, they can be yours as well...
Pat Lashley, Senior Software Engineer, Henry Davis Consulting
patl@Phoenix.Volant.ORG                         http://Phoenix.Volant.ORG/