Date:      Fri, 07 Feb 2003 21:05:55 +0200
From:      Yury Tarasievich <grog@grsu.by>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Making pkg_XXX tools smarter about file types...

I have yet another suggestion regarding packaging subsystem -- could it
be possible to extend pkg_* functionality (and, in fact, ports
functionality) to recognize modest set of wildcards in dependencies names?

It seems pretty unreasonable to have various subrevisions of, say,
libiconv, pulled as packages dependencies ending with libiconv-1.7_5,
libiconv-1.8, libiconv-1.8_1 and installed. And still another package
would complain about having no -1.8_2.

I'd like to see in dependencies not only like "was built with -1.9_2abc,
so wants it", but also something like -1.5+ (obviously 1.5.0 and newer),
-* (any version will do). Perhaps something else. At least to have
possibility of specifying that, if this can't go into official ports.
Does it seem reasonable?

Tim Kientzle wrote:

> The attached patch modifies the pkg_install
> tools to inspect the file contents--rather than the

[...]