Date:      Sun, 3 Nov 2002 19:51:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
To:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: installworld from a cross-buildworld

On Mon, 4 Nov 2002, Peter Jeremy wrote:

> I have a fast x86 machine and a slow Alpha so I'd like to be able to
> do the Alpha buildworlds on the x86 and then install via NFS.
>
> 	make TARGET_ARCH=alpha buildworld
> works, and I can successfully mount /usr/src (actually /home/src4)
> and /usr/obj/alpha (actually /home/obj/alpha) onto the Alpha.  But
> the installworld fails because there's no /usr/obj/home/src4/alpha
> tree (built as /home/obj/alpha/home/src4/alpha ).
>
> Any suggestions?

    Make sure the mount points match the environment on which the
build was done, then tweak using MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX?.

    targetbox# mount -t nfs buildbox:/home/src4 /home/src4
    targetbox# mount -t nfs buildbox:/home/obj  /home/obj
    targetbox# cd /home/src4
    targetbox# env MAKEOBJDIRPREFIX=/home/obj/alpha make installworld

Worst case, the mounted filesystems may need a symlink from
/home/obj/alpha/home/src4 to /home/obj/alpha/usr/src to trick
the build environment.

--
Chris BeHanna                      http://www.pennasoft.com
Principal Consultant