Date:      Tue, 10 Mar 1998 00:57:39 -0500
From:      Cory Kempf <ckempf@enigami.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        abial@nask.pl
Subject:   Re: New kernel page faults

Our story so far...

I have a DK440LX, 333MHz PII, Seagate 9 GB UW SCSI Cheetah (still waiting
for the *$#@% CD ROM to show up), 128 MB RAM, No 9 I-128 series 2 video
board (8 MB)

Using the CAM boot image Andrzej Bialecki <abial@nask.pl> put in
/incomming, I was able to install.  Using said kernel, I can run, if I give
it the -a option.

When I attempt to build a kernel, I get a Fatal trap 12: page fault while
in kernel mode.  NB: I am using the -current as of 9 march, and the CAM
snapshot that was just uploaded (but the earlier version generated the same
results).

In a fit of desperation, I tried a make world, on the off chance that
perhaps something got hosed in the initial install.  Didn't seem to help.

>> Any suggestions either where to start looking to figure out the problem,
>> or, alternatively, any suggestions on how I can more successfully build a
>> kernel?
>>
>Try the DDB trace command.

(after figuring out how to do so...)

	_ffs_mount(fo8fa800,0,0,0,f0234dd0) at _ffs_mount+0x56
	_vfs_mountrootfs(0) at _vfs_mountrootfs+0x59
	_main(f0272fb8,f0272ff4,f01e4751,f022eaf8,f0404000) at _main+0x9a
	begin() at begin+0x4a

(is there a better way to capture this stuff than manually copying it from
the screen?)

So,

Has anyone out there successfully built a -current kernel on a DK440LX?
If so, did you do anything special?  Can you send me your config file?

Clearly, I have a kernel that works, although not optimally (requires
manual intervention to boot), so it is possible to make a kernel that works
on this system.  Anyone have a clue what I am doing wrong?

On the off chance that this is a bug in -current, what can I do to help
resolve it?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

+C

--
Thinking of purchasing RAM from the Chip Merchant?  Please read this first:
<http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/chipmerchant.html>;

Cory Kempf                  Macintosh / Unix Consulting & Software Development
ckempf@enigami.com          <http://www.enigami.com/~ckempf/>;