Date:      Wed, 18 Feb 2009 16:07:52 +0100
From:      Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
To:        Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
Cc:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Determining process preventing umount of busy partition

On Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:30:55 -0900, Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net> wrote:
> This is weird, though. New theories (where are Chase, Cameron and Foreman when
> you need them!):

Spying around in someone else's house. :-)

> fstat is lying, instead use:
> fstat -f /usr -m -v

Well, I've taken that pill. This is the result:

	# /root/bin/fstat -m -v -f /usr
	USER     CMD          PID   FD MOUNT      INUM MODE         SZ|DV R/W
	# _

It shows NOTHING. I have made a copy of fstat binary in /root/bin,
which is possible because all needed libs are in /.

Furthermore, I've carefully studied the output of "ps ax" and even
of "top -t", but as well, nothing that indicates some activity on
/usr...

> You have a mount on top of /usr, ie.: /usr/local or /usr/ports.

No. From /etc/fstab:

	# Device        Mountpoint              FStype  Options         Dump    Pass#
	# -----------   ---------------------   ------  -------------   -----   -----
	/dev/ad0s1b     none                    swap    sw              0       0
	/dev/ad0s1a     /                       ufs     rw              1       1
	/dev/ad0s1d     /tmp                    ufs     rw              2       2
	/dev/ad0s1e     /var                    ufs     rw              2       2
	/dev/ad0s1f     /usr                    ufs     rw              2       2
	/dev/ad0s1g     /export/home            ufs     rw              2       2

These are the only partitions on ad0. /usr has its own partition,
nothing mounted "on top" of it. (You mentioned a valid point: I
sometimes have another disk mounted inside /export/home, and I
cannot umount /export/home while this partition is mounted. But
that's not the case here.)

This is REALLY strange, I should get a whiteboard, some pens and
start making a drawing of the symptoms, until Dr. Cuddy tells me
not to do so. :-)

--
Polytropon
>From Magdeburg, Germany