Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 11:53:02 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        "Alfred Perlstein" <perlsta@cs.sunyit.edu>
Cc:        "Nate Williams" <nate@mt.sri.com>, <java@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: so how goes java?

[ Moved to -java ]

> >You'd be alot better off sending this to freebsd-java.

> i guess it was wrong, but i sent mail to java-port yesterday and mail
> to -hackers just today, still no reponse from java-ports :)

Just because you didn't get any response doesn't mean that no-one was
listening.

> anyhow basically to execute the BDK install you just need to:
>
> setenv CLASSPATH <path>/<that_ugly_zipfile_you_downloaded>
>
> then type:
> java install
>
> interestingly the .zip file seems to be some sort of class archive.

ZIP file?  The file that I ended up with was a sh script that had a
Solaris JRE built into it.  This won't compile at wall.

> on a recent 3.0 system (make world as of last night) it just plains dies
> right away, but on a 2.2-stable of about Jan. 11th it gets farther but then
> also dies (makes it to somewhere in the splash screen) both crashes are
> always the same and easily reproducable on my 2 systems.

I get further on the BDK I downloaded about 45 minutes ago,but it is
hanging just before it completely finishes.

> >They are not pre-emptive.
>
> (figures since until recently the SUN version was also co-operative)

It still is.

> one of my first things (besides fixing this problem) is to look into native
> threads, co-operative multitasking is an oxymoron.

What native threads?

Nate