Date:      Tue, 12 May 2009 07:45:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Peter" <fbsdq@peterk.org>
To:        "Paul Schmehl" <pschmehl_lists@tx.rr.com>
Cc:        Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com>, #freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Wake-on-LAN support in FreeBSD?

> --On May 11, 2009 8:06:41 PM -0600 Tim Judd <tajudd@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I've read Google, I've done my research, and know that what I say is the
>> last word.  They've exampled how WOL works, and as I said, it's a mode
>> the NIC gets set to and then the ACPI shuts the power off.
>>
>> Without this mode, the WOL packets get to it, but it doesn't consider
>> them magic, and as a result, it will not power on the box.
>>
>> There were some examples, but not enough testing/any testing results
>> were
>> posted online so I assume the poster left it stagnant.
>>

> Tim, I know nothing about WOL on FreeBSD, but according to the wiki,
> development just started in 8 CURRENT:
> http://wiki.freebsd.org/WakeOnLan
>
> So unless you're running CURRENT, it doesn't look like you're going to
> have any success trying to get it to work.  Even if you have 8 CURRENT,
> you'll still need to figure out if your NIC is supported yet, or write the
> code yourself if you have that capability.
>
> Paul Schmehl, If it isn't already
> obvious, my opinions are my own
> and not those of my employer.

Been using WOL on -STABLE since 7.0 I believe [not sure]
Currently using WOL on fxp and vr cards [which wiki lists as supported]

/usr/ports/net/wol
 and then:
wol -vi 172.20.6.255 00:30:6e:11:f8:45

this box was both public IP and private IP - If I do a wol broadcast on
255.255.255.255 it will not wake up the other box, plugged into same
switch - but doing broadcast on local subnet wakes it up.... any ideas?

I do have an nvidia card, if I boot the bios/POST ONLY, and not let it go
into FreeBSD [hard power off at boot prompt], WOL works [via BIOS].  If I
boot up FreeBSD, do graceful shutdown WOL no longer works.

]Peter[