Date:      Tue, 21 Nov 2000 08:31:16 -0500 (EST)
From:      Francisco Reyes <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        default <default@mat.upc.es>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting FreeBSD 3.0

On Tue, 21 Nov 2000, default wrote:
> directories is FreeBSD 3.4, so I would be very pleased if you could tell me how I can
> get the 3.0 version.

Use 3.4 instead. It is the latest along the 3.X line.

>1) If some software runs correctly on FreeBSD 3.0, can I install it on
> an upgraded FreeBSD version without any problems?

You should.

>2) Which is the difference between the following:
>"3.4.-Release"
>"3.4.-Stable"

You may want to take a look at http://www.freebsd.org/handbook

Releases are a point in time for the source tree.
3.4 stable WAS the ongoing branch of "stable", but it is now 3.5 I
believe.

You should be able to run any programs from 3.X under 4.X so you may want
to get that instead. Otherwise I recommend you get hte latest 3.X which I
believe it was 3.5 and then bring it up to "Stable".

See instructions at the handbook.