Date:      Tue, 11 Aug 1998 00:13:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: WangDat 3100 SCSI tape

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > I got a new tape, to make sure that wasn't the problem.  I have the
> > density set to "X3B5/88-185A", Blocksize variable.  I tried to tar my
> > home directory onto it, which has more than 100M now.  I get about 20
> > files into that, I get to a leftover kernel, and:
> >
> > ..
> > ..
> > chuckr/.login
> > chuckr/.addressbook.lu
> > chuckr/kernel
> > tar: can't write to /dev/rst0 : Input/output error
>
> This should have been accompanied by a message on the console.  Check
> /var/log/messages to see it again.

Here's the log message:

Aug 11 00:18:09 moon st0: MEDIUM ERROR info:0x5f000 asc:c,0 Write error
sks:80,1
Aug 11 00:18:09 moon st0: MEDIUM ERROR info:0x1 asc:c,0 Write error

The same error seems to occur every time, even though the tape was
changed out (twice).

> The fact that it listed the files doesn't mean that they got written.
> tar first blocks them, and then tries to write the blocks to tape.
>
> > I'm doing this as root.  I chose the density not because of the
> > name, but because it numerically matched the density called out in
> > the drive specification (I located that and downloaded it).
>
> Does it make any difference?  What happens if you don't set a density
> at all?

I've set the density on /dev/st0ctl.0, to serve as a default on rst0. I
don't set density in the tar command (I don't think I can). I've tried
blocksizes of variable, 512, and 8192, and a couple different densities.
Seeing as how the densities and blocksizes are defaulting, I don't see
what "What happens if you don't set a density at all" could mean to me.

I use as tar command "tar cvfb chuckr b #" (#=blocksize, or omitted for
variable size blocks).  chuckr is my home dir.

> Greg
> --
> See complete headers for address and phone numbers
> finger grog@lemis.com for PGP public key

213 Lakeside Drive Apt T-1  |
Greenbelt, MD 20770         | I run Journey2 and picnic (FreeBSD-current)
(301) 220-2114              | and jaunt (NetBSD).