Date:      Sat, 20 Mar 1999 14:22:32 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        jkh@zippy.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        brett@lariat.org, seth@freebie.dp.ny.frb.org, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape browser

> I thought that we were here to discuss real-life issues.

Uh, no, it's to discuss marketing.  8-).

> In real-life, just having FreeBSD emulation for Linux by no
> means gets people to suddenly rush to produce FreeBSD binaries
> because, as I said before, the incentive just isn't there and it isn't
> there because of NUMBERS, nothing that you or I can change overnight.

Right.  You would probably need to provide a full-on developement kit
as RPM's and whatever other packaging stuff there is on the Linux
distributions you target.

Such a kit would produce "Linux" binaries, but "file" would recognize
them as FreeBSD.

> It's also a point which is undoubtedly moot since I don't see anyone
> capable of doing the actual work to implement such a thing emerging
> from the woodwork anywhere.

SEF would be a good candidate, if you could way-lay him.  Or Soren.
Brett is spot-on about it being a job best suited to past successful
emulator writers to act as tech lead and to track the binary changes.

> Various people in the Linux world have looked at this problem at
> various times, if for no reason other than to shut us up about the
> emulation issue, and they've all concluded that It Would Be Hard -
> too hard to contemplate for such a nebulous gain.

With respect, there is a difference between a software engineer and
a programmer.  This job needs a software engineer.  I'm unfortunately
overcommitted on basic technology reference implementations and IETF
drafts at this point.  You need an engineer to design it; once that's
done, programmers can take on the task of implementing the design.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---
or previous employers.