Date:      Mon, 18 Dec 2000 14:54:13 +0100
From:      Roman Le Houelleur <roman@IPricot.com>
To:        "hardware@FreeBSD.ORG" <hardware@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ether card for dummynet

Tom Embt wrote:

> I haven't had experience with building bridges, but as far as general NICs
> suitable for FreeBSD, this question has been asked before.  The Intel
> Etherexpress stuff is about the best 10/100 card you'll find.  Several
> "good" cards are made from the PNIC 82c169 chipset, including the Kingston
> KNE-110TX and the NetGear FA-310TX.  One bonus to the FA310TX is that it
> has _five_ status LEDs on the back, and the Kingston has four.  Most cards
> have three, or even two.  Just these little things that you notice...  I
> personally would avoid the Realtek based stuff.
>
> Current prices on http://www.mwave.com  (love that place)

 Thanks for the answer and link (pretty good indeed).
 But reading at the dc manual page it seems that the 82c169 chipset
is not so good, I'm a bit afraid by the BUG section...
 Looks like it runs some of the same problems that make the
realtek a "bad" chipset.

 I'll have look at the mailing list archive to find out
for some advices.

 Thanks again,

Roman.