Date:      Tue, 15 Dec 1998 17:43:08 -0500 (EST)
From:      alt <gocoyote@chaos.ao.net>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   bt848 problem in FreeBSD 2.2.8 when using bt878

Hello all.

I have FreeBSD 2.2.8 installed, and am using a hauppauge Win/TV card.
Unfortunatly, i cant get the bktr0 driver to recognise my card.

Here is a real quick summary of what would happen:

despite having bktr0 in my kernel, the card would not be found. After some
investigation, i discovered that the version of the bktr0 driver that
ships with 2.2.8 has support for ONLY the bt848. My hauppauge card turns
out to contain a bt878.

the current drivers that can be found at
http://gable.nrl.cs.uoregon.edu/~dwhite/ have support for the bt878 chip,
and claim to be ready for both 2.2.x and 3.0 .. Because I dont want to use
the still-unstable 3.0, i got the drivers, installed them in the correct
places, and did a new make.. but unfortunatly this broke it.. I get the
error:

[snip..]
../../pci/brooktree848.c:2995: conflicting types for `bktr_mmap'
../../pci/brooktree848.c:453: previous declaration of `bktr_mmap'
*** Error code 1

And it doesnt go any farther. I do not know enough C to get in there and
fix the problem, as I am still a student.

Can anyone tip me off to what to look for, what to comment out, or point
me towards the driver code that will work in 2.2.8 ?  Or would it just be
too much work, when 3.0 is so close to being stable? (I dont use 3.0 so I
dont know myself.)

Thank you all very much.
-alt

--