Date:      Wed, 7 Feb 2001 11:08:42 +0100
From:      Maxime Henrion <mux@qualys.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        Darren Henderson <darren@bmv.state.me.us>
Subject:   Re: ldconfig/rc.conf change

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

Darren Henderson wrote:
> cvsup'd my 4.2-stable system on the 5th. Built world, kernel, installed
> them, and ran mergemaster. This was last done about a month ago.
>=20
> When the system came back up apache wold no longer work. PHP failed to lo=
ad
> becuase it couldn't find libmysqlclient.so.10.
>=20
> Apache starts via an /usr/local/etc/rc.d script. I had the following in
> /etc/rc.conf, it wasn't changed over the update.
>=20
> ldconfig_paths=3D"$ldconfig_paths /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql"
>=20
> This always worked fine in the past. Now after booting ldconfig -r doesn't
> show libmysqlclient.so.10=20
>=20
> Glancing at the mailing list archives and /usr/src/UPDATING I don't see a=
ny
> mention of changes to ldconfig or rc.conf processing. So...what changed? =
Is
> the -i opt for ldconfig new? Is the ldconfig_insecure var in
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf new or changed? The /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql dir
> isn't owned by root so my previous solution can't work with the
> ldconfig_insecure default of "NO"...so I suspect something there changed.
>=20
> What ever it was, it probably deserves a mention in /usr/src/UPDATING

Hi,

=46rom /usr/src/release/texts/i386/RELNOTES.TXT:
	ldconfig(8) now checks directory ownerships and permissions for
	greater security; these checks can be disabled with the -i
	flag.

ldconfig now checks that the directories in which it takes the shared libs =
are
owned by root, and not world writable nor group writable. It will skip any
directory if the checks fail.

The ldconfig_insecure flag is used to run the startup ldconfig commands with
the new -i flag. Of course, its use is discouraged. You should check the
permissions of your /usr/local/mysql/lib/mysql.

Hope this helps,
Maxime Henrion
--=20
Don't be fooled by cheap finnish imitations ; BSD is the One True Code
Key fingerprint =3D F9B6 1D5A 4963 331C 88FC  CA6A AB50 1EF2 8CBE 99D6
Public Key : http://www.epita.fr/~henrio_m/

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK

--CE+1k2dSO48ffgeK--