Date:      Tue, 07 Oct 1997 07:56:00 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "Evan Champion" <evanc@synapse.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Version with good mmap()?

>Does 2.2.1 or 2.2.5-BETA have a good mmap() (ie: fully functional, good
>performance) or if not does 3.0-current?

   The version in 2.2.x and 3.x should be fully functional - I don't know of
any problems with it.

>I seem to recall reading at some point that the mmap() in earlier releases
>wasn't quite up to scratch, but I can't remember which version was
>recommended.  I'm moving a server to FreeBSD which has a very heavy
>dependence on very large size/quantity mmap()'s.

   The only problem had to do with syncing modified information back to the
file, but I haven't heard of any problems with this in a long time.

>Also, does FreeBSD's mmap() require swap to back up the maps?

   For mapped files, no. The data is backed by the file.

-DG

David Greenman