Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2002 14:05:47 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        Jeff Penn <jeff@jrpenn.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: portupgrade with package

On Sat, Jun 22, 2002 at 12:41:35PM +0100, Jeff Penn wrote:

> I'm obviously missing something with my understanding of the ports system.
> I thought that following -STABLE or -RELEASE only selected the src tree to
> follow.  Is this explained in the handbook or elsewhere?.

The best description of how ports and packages fit in with the release
process is Murray's magnum opus about release engineering:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/releng/article.html

In general the packages supplied with any FreeBSD release are just a
snapshot of the state of the ports tree around the time of the
release.  There is no CURRENT vs STABLE vs RELENG_4_x branch structure
in the ports tree.

The packages available on the ftp sites are categorised into
`package-X.Y-release' subdirectories, but for the most part these are
just aliases for `packages-5-current' or `packages-4-stable'. This is
how the /pub/FreeBSD/ports/i386 directory is laid out on
ftp2.uk.freebsd.org today:

    packages -> packages-stable
    packages-4-current -> packages-4-stable
    packages-4-stable
    packages-4.0-release -> packages-4-stable/
    packages-4.1-release -> packages-4-stable/
    packages-4.2-release -> packages-4-stable/
    packages-4.3-release -> packages-4-stable/
    packages-4.4-release -> packages-4-stable/
    packages-4.5-release
    packages-4.6-release
    packages-5-current
    packages-5.0-current -> packages-5.0-dp1/
    packages-5.0-dp1
    packages-current -> packages-5-current
    packages-stable -> packages-4-stable

Only recent releases have their own separate packages directory
(ie. packages-4.5-release), and that will contain the same packages as
on the released CD set.  That's so that using sysinstall to do an
install over the network will achieve the same result as installing
from CD.

The packages-4-stable and packages-5-current directories however just
track the state of the ports tree on a weekly basis.  As this is a
large amount of stuff and it changes fairly regularly, not all FreeBSD
ftp mirrors will carry it. Eg. ftp.uk.freebsd.org and ftp2.uk. have
everything, but ftp3.uk. is more selective.

If you're using any version of FreeBSD 4, and so long as you update
any dependencies appropriately then any packages under
`packages-4-stable' should work for you.  Just because you're running
RELENG_4_5 doesn't mean that you should only use packages from the
packages-4.5-release directory.  In fact, if you're concerned about
security you definitely shouldn't limit yourself to just those
packages, or you won't pick up on security or other bug fixes.

There has been some discussion about this setup inspired by the recent
"Chunked Transfer Encoding" security bug in apache being made public
so soon after 4.6-RELEASE and the fact that anyone installing from 4.6
CDs or by sysinstall will therefore be installing an exploitable
version of apache.  The idea as I understand it is that, say, an
installation from CD Rom will prompt you to set up a network
connection and then go out to the net to check for updates and
important news whenever you select a package to install.

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way
Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK