Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 2000 08:54:15 -0500
From:      "Doug Poland" <dpoland@execpc.com>
To:        <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Lynx forbidden

> On Thu, Mar 30, 2000 at 10:38:44AM -0600, Alan Clegg wrote:
> > Out of the ether, Benjamin Lutz spewed forth the following bitstream:
> > > Well, I still have a question though: Why was Lynx marked "forbidden"
> > > at all, leading to misunderstandings? Or the standard unix user
> > > expected to be able to do this basic kind of "hacking"?
> >
> > The lynx port is marked forbidden due to security problems.
> >
> > There is no misunderstanding.
> >
> > If you want to open yourself (and your users) up to buffer overflows in
> > the code, you are more than welcome.
> >
> > AlanC
>
> In light of that is there a recommended replacement for lynx until
> the security holes are worked out.  Unfortunately I need something
> to view html marked up emails in mutt.  I am replaced linux with
> freebsd on my home machine and I would like that same functionality.
> What  other programs are out there like lynx that I could use in my
> .mailcap file to view html marked emails in mutt?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Brian K. Walters
> bkwalters@lucent.com

Please forgive the ignorance of these questions...

How does a cracker exploit (or create?) buffer overflows
that makes lynx vulnerable?

If I have lynx on my system, when am I at risk?

Doesn't sysinstall use lynx to read on-line documentation?
If it's so risky, why would the installation program use it?

--
Doug Poland