Date:      Thu, 21 Apr 2005 23:17:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      freebsd-security@dfmm.org
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Cc:        Jesper Wallin <jesper@hackunite.net>
Subject:   Re: Information disclosure?

> For some reason, I thought little about the "clear" command today..
> Let's say a privileged user (root) logs on, edit a sensitive file (e.g,
> a file containing a password, running vipw, etc) .. then runs clear and
> logout. Then anyone can press the scroll-lock command, scroll back up
> and read the sensitive information.. Isn't "clear" ment to clear the

I've thought about this also - I think that if it's really a concern, the
thing to do is to just disable the kernel-level text console scrollback
completely and use screen(1) or something similar for those times when you
do want scrollback.

alternatively,
alias clear='for i in {1..SC_HISTORY_SIZE} ; do echo "" ; done'

  -Jason