Date:      Thu, 10 Aug 1995 16:08:35 -0400
From:      Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@CS.McGill.CA>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Strange behavior of ls in 2.0.5

Hi. I'm in a 132x50 xterm under XFree86 3.1.1u1 and FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE.
Consider this:

~ % stty -a
speed 9600 baud; 50 rows; 132 columns;
	[rest of stty's output deleted]
~ % which ls
/bin/ls

When I use ls, I get a display with 5 columns. But some filenames in
the 1st column don't have their 1st character: it actually appears
on the 132nd column of the preceding line...

The specific example I'm considering is 'ls /usr/include/vm'.
It looks like ls wants to display the filenames in 8 columns but that
a huge space appears between the 5th and 6th columns.

Any comments?

Pierre Sarrazin <sarrazip@cs.mcgill.ca> [Montreal]