Date:      Wed, 06 Nov 1996 10:53:44 -0800
From:      "John W. Rasins" <jrasins@mindspring.com>
To:        "tuart itchell" <stuart@golden.bnc.com.au>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Unix

At 11:54 AM 11/6/96 +1000, you wrote:
>Hi
>  Just got a copy of the 2 set CD.
>I wish to know can I set it up a my main hhard drive with Windows95 on
>it or will it be best to get a second hard drive to set it up.
>I'm just playing around with it, but I will be setting up a full
>Internet server for my BBS.
>
>Thanks
>Stuart Mitchell

Yes, you can, but you need to have a portion of the hard drive unpartioned
so that you may setup a partition for FreeBSD.  I see reference to a
program/utility(?) called fips that I presume will allow you to repartition
your hard drive without the usual back-it-all up, delete all partitions, and
then repartition steps, but I haven't used it so I'll let someone else
verify that process.

You should have at least 100mb (per Doug I believe) allocated for FreeBSD.
If your current hard drive doesn't have that much available to be
partitioned off, then getting a second drive becomes a necessity.  One thing
I am not sure of, is whether FreeBSD requires a partition off of the main HD
for booting purposes.  When I used UnixWare, it required at least an 80mb
partition on the boot HD.  If FreeBSD does, you may still have some work to
do on your current HD even if you buy a second one.

John