Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 01:20:30 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        alk@pobox.com
Cc:        dmaddox@scsn.net, dag-erli@ifi.uio.no, luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it, dkulp@neomorphic.com, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: rvplayer requires pcm for stable

[-stable trimmed off; -multimedia is more than enough]

> Perhaps not, but it is obviously open to flaming -- and quite
> appropriately, I think.  Is it out of sheer spite?

Uh, yeah.  That's it, spite.  Perish the thought that it might be for
engineering reasons, dropping support for a driver which has had no
owner for some time and has been almost entirely supplanted by another
driver.  Yes, the new driver has has no midi and fm synth
capabilities, but it's also never going to get those abilities if
those who are really keen to have such features never add them to the
new unified sound code, choosing instead to remain with an
increasingly crufty legacy interface.

> Should we get a volunteer to maintain a cvsup snd tree, so that
> all the fm synth and midi users can keep operating when this happens?

It strikes me that such volunteer effort would be better applied to
simply bringing such features into the new driver if you're now
talking about actual 3rd party involvement in this area, something
which has been rather extremely lacking in response to previous public
requests of this nature.

- Jordan