Date:      Wed, 04 Oct 2000 06:23:13 -0400
From:      "Brian F. Feldman" <green@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        Warner Losh <imp@village.org>, Paul Richards <paul@originative.co.uk>, cvs-committers@FreeBSD.org, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/usr.bin/finger finger.c

Kris Kennaway <kris@FreeBSD.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 12:00:57PM -0600, Warner Losh wrote:
> > In message <39DA182C.C70ED553@originative.co.uk> Paul Richards writes:
> > : I think we should have a stable release team, that changes to the stable
> > : branch should be gated through to ensure they're thouroughly tested and
> > : that there's a need for them to be backported. I'd be happy to work with
> > : anyone else who wants to volunteer to do that since maintaining a stable
> > : version of the OS is a major issue for me with my new hat on.
> >
> > I'd support this strongly, both as Warner Losh, Committer and as
> > Warner Losh, Security Officer.  My current job uses -stable and needs
> > to have it be sane at "all"[*] times, or we waste a lot of effort
> > bringing in and backing out unstable versions (we do some sanity
> > testing before bringing a version in, but there's only so much you can
> > do).
>
> I think a formal MFC process may be too stifling, unless we have a
> VERY responsive MFC team. Consider that we don't want the same thing
> to happen as did with 3.x, where 4.0-CURRENT was allowed to diverge so
> much that merging bugfixes became difficult.
>
> I'd settle for committers being more cautious about merging their own
> changes and self-managing the process better.

I was thinking of it much more in the terms of a list like
"reviews@FreeBSD.org" which would be private for committers posting changes
they want reviewed again just before inclusion in -STABLE and anyone who
wanted to could review them (I would like to, for example).

If I have "X" I want reviewed, it would be nice to have a target instead of
shooting in the dark.  One consolidated place for people to post need for
reviews would go along way towards this goal, don't you think?