Date:      Mon, 3 Jun 2002 13:34:36 -0700
From:      "Drew Tomlinson" <drew@mykitchentable.net>
To:        <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Drive Space - Am I Getting All I Should?

I added a 80G IDE drive to my 4.5 machine.  I used /stand/sysinstall
to FDisk and Label the drive.  Now after mounting, df -h shows:

Filesystem        Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1e        72G   1.0K    66G     0%    /ftp

dmesg shows the drive as 76319M so 72G seems reasonable:

ad0: 76319MB <GENERIC GENERIC> [155061/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

The /stand/sysinstall disklabel editor sees it as the same size:

Part      Mount           Size Newfs  Part      Mount           Size
Newfs
----      -----           ---- -----  ----      -----           ---- -
----
ad0s1e    /ftp         76319MB UFS Y

But the FDISK partition editor sees the drive geometry differently
than dmesg:

Disk name:      ad0                                    FDISK Partition
Editor
DISK Geometry:  30629 cyls/81 heads/63 sectors = 156299787 sectors

    Offset       Size        End     Name  PType       Desc  Subtype
Flags

         0  156301488  156301487    ad0s1      3    freebsd      165

So how come df -h only shows 66G available?  Where's the other 6G?  Is
this some limitation of FBSD or my system BIOS?  As an experiment, I
split the drive into two slices but got about the same result as shown
below:

Filesystem        Size   Used  Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1e        39G   1.0K    36G     0%    /ftp
/dev/ad0s2e        33G   1.0K    31G     0%    /ftp2

Can anyone explain what's going on here?

Thanks,

Drew