Date:      Mon, 07 Oct 2002 13:06:42 -0700
From:      Kent Stewart <kstewart@owt.com>
To:        Kevin Oberman <oberman@es.net>
Cc:        "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>, John Kozubik <john@www.kozubik.com>, Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk>, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Proper way to upgrade packaes from ports

Kevin Oberman wrote:
>>Date: Mon, 07 Oct 2002 14:49:23 -0500
>>From: "Jack L. Stone" <jackstone@sage-one.net>
>>Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
>>
>>At 12:21 PM 10.7.2002 -0700, John Kozubik wrote:
>>
>>>Rus,
>>>
>>>Please take a look at /usr/ports/sysutils/portupgrade, as it is the
>>>appropriate tool for these sort of upgrades.
>>>
>>>Circumstantial evidence over the years has led me to believe that most
>>>ports will actually successfully and without issue overwrite their
>>>previous iterations that were also installed via the ports tree (lynx,
>>>wget, things like that).
>>>
>>>-----
>>>John Kozubik - john@kozubik.com - http://www.kozubik.com
>>>

>>If you don't mind first deinstalling the old port, then a simple way is to:
>># pkg_delete <foo_1>
>>...then cd /usr/ports/foo_2:
>>#make install clean
>>
>>You are now up to date.....
>

> This ignores dependencies. If I upgrade some port but don't get the
> dependencies as well, things can break. portupgrade was designed to
> handle these.

Some of these are handled when I do a "-Rufp". It starts at the port
and handles all of its dependancies. This isn't a good idea if XFree86
is one of the dependancies. Then -x option is supposed to take care of
that but I have never used it. I have usually done a pkg_version -c
and know what needs to be updated. When something disappears, which
portupgrade does not handle, I delete the port and the new
dependancies and start over.

FWIW, I usually portupgrade on one system and I always create a
package on that system.

Kent

--
Kent Stewart