Date:      26 May 2002 22:52:33 -0500
From:      Kirk Strauser <kirk@strauser.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Hardware RAID vs vinum

At 2002-05-27T03:41:39Z, "Phil Rosenthal" <winter@villaweb.net> writes:

> Is there any reason why a hardware raid would be better, am I missing out
> on anything?

In theory, a hardware RAID should give you better CPU utilization.  After
all, a seperate processor (or DSP, etc.) would be doing all of the work that
your main CPU is currently doing.  Furthermore, your CPU would be able to
forget about all of the extra abstractions of Vinum, such as plexes,
subdisks, and so on - the RAID could look like one single harddrive.

In reality, I don't think that the RAID controllers would protect the CPU
from nearly so much work, and I'm almost positive that your CPU will be
orders of magnitude faster than the processor on the controllers.
--
Kirk Strauser
The Strauser Group - http://www.strausergroup.com/