Date:      Wed, 17 Apr 2002 19:48:58 -0600
From:      "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
To:        Yanek Korff <yanek@cigital.com>
Cc:        "'freebsd-stable@freeBSD.org'" <freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Belkin 8-port KVM = keyboard inactive

On Wed, Apr 17, 2002 at 15:59:03 -0400, Yanek Korff wrote:

> I've got a number of FreeBSD servers connected to one monitor & keyboard
> using the Belkin OmniView Pro 8-port KVM switch.  Whenever I reboot one of
> these servers while the system is not the ACTIVE system on the KVM, I'll
> have no keyboard access.  No keyboard detected:
>
> atkbdc0: <Keyboard controller (i8042)> at port 0x60,0x64 on isa0
> but no:
> atkbd0: <AT Keyboard> flags 0x1 irq 1 on atkbdc0
> as observed on other systems.
>
> So, looking at the atbkd man page indicates that a 0x1 is FAIL_IF_NO_KBD.
> So, thinking that was the root of all my troubles, I removed the flags,
> recompiled the kernel, and rebooted.  Looks like my problems may be solved.
>
> So my question is this: Under what circumstance would I ever want to fail on
> no keyboard?  Even if there WERE no keyboard plugged in, is it not helpful
> to install the driver in anticipation of a keyboard being added (eg. server
> in a cage, keyboard plugged in when needed).
>
> More information appreciated.

I don't know if this has anything to do with your problem, but some of the
Belkin Omniview 8 port KVM switches were manufactured with two EEPROMs
swapped.  See John Polstra's description of the message on -hackers:

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=343418+345979+/usr/local/www/db/text/2001/freebsd-hackers/20010107.freebsd-hackers

He was having trouble with the mouse, not the keyboard, but who knows, it
could be an issue in your case.

That said, I've had better luck with Apex KVMs.

Ken
--
Kenneth Merry
ken@kdm.org