Date:      Tue, 9 Sep 1997 09:59:24 +0100
From:      nik@iii.co.uk
To:        Ted Faber <faber@ISI.EDU>
Cc:        hcremean@vt.edu, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Netscape Communicator 4.02b7

On Mon, Sep 08, 1997 at 04:42:10PM -0800, Ted Faber wrote:
> >Have they cleared up any of the weirdness with SIGFPE? (What I mean is that
> >I notice my copy of 4.02b7 likes to hang when it exits...an investigation
> >with GDB showed that it was SIGFPE'ing, then continuing, then doing it
> >again, over and over, in a loop that eats all my CPU. I have to kill -9 it
> >to make it go away.)
>
> I haven't seen that problem on either of my boxes, but I didn't see it
> with 4.02b7 either so my data point is of dubious value.

I have. I did some testing, and narrowed it down to:

  - Every time I exited NS by selecting "File -> Exit" from one of the
    open windows (typically > 5) it would hang, and send the system load
    up.

  - If, instead, I went to each window and hit "Alt+W" to kill the window,
    and then "Alt+Q" in the last window to kill it, it went away nicely.

This happened consistently. It's quite bizarre. I'm now playing around
with the 4.03b8 Navigator standalone, to see if it shows the same
behaviour.

--+==[ Nik Clayton is Just Another Perl Hacker at Interactive Investor ]==+--
        Diana, the roadkill formally known as Princess, 1961-1997    NC5-RIPE