Date:      Wed, 28 Aug 1996 16:48:52 +0100 (BST)
From:      Gordon Henderson <gordon@drogon.net>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Install problem: Wrote -1 bytes of 1024...

Anyone see this on installation?

I took a local mirror of 2.1.5-RELEASE to make my installations go faster,
but when trying to use them, I sometimes get this error message that seems
to imply that it had problems writing to disk.  It happens mostly during
load of the /bin stuff, and sometimes on the manpages too. It does
successfully get some packages. eg. ssys.

If I reboot the machine and restart the install from scratch from
ftp.freebsd.org, then it goes just fine (but a lot lot slower )-:

Anyone see this before? It's quite annoying!

I grabbed my mirror using ncftp with a get -R 2.1.5-RELEASE, and setup a
local ftp server for it, giving it the correct URL for the ftp - it loggs
in ok and starts the transfer, then fails with this odd error message.

Any pointers to solve this would be appreciated - I have a fair few
machines to build soon and it's a real drag trying to FTP it from a
remote site.

Gordon