Date:      Sat, 10 Jul 1999 12:18:19 -0400
From:      Dan Moschuk <dan@trinsec.com>
To:        Amy Wennings <amybsd@hotmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeLinux (Debian/GNU BSD)

| I'd still like my question answered. Maybe I can put it more succinctly as
| two:
|
| 1> What does the Debian package installation system offer that FreeBSD's
| ports do not?

Having run Debian in the past, I must admit it's package management system
was really well put together.  ``dselect'', the front end to dpkg, would
retrieve the current list of packages, and you could automagically update
the updated packages to the latest version.  The one drawback to the ports
collection is that every so often (about once a month) I have to pkg_delete
and rebuild any updated ports.

| 2> Can these be added to the existing system?

I don't see why not.  If there is enough demand, I would certainly be willing
to get this started.  Perhaps it could be a nice 4.0 feature.

Cheers!

-Dan